By Kai Flack

Sunday 26 th September saw the month’s fixtures wrapped up in the Shoestrings-Chargrill Sponsored Chippenham & District Sunday Football League and it is fair to say it has been a month full of goals and cup shocks. Let us see how the month ended.

Premier Division:

AFC Melksham 5-1 Semington

Matching Pair For Melksham Against Semington

AFC Melksham recorded an identical victory to that on 5 th September as they ran out 5-1 winners against Semington for the second time in a month.

On another very warm Sunday, both teams played some nice passing football but Melksham once again were the team that had their shooting boots on, and it was Keiron Pearce who opened the scoring when he ventured forward from the back to drive a hard low strike that gave veteran goalkeeper Alan Clark no chance with. Rhys Talmash then scored his first of the morning with a rocket of a left foot shot for 2-0.

Semington grew into the game and tested Melksham goalkeeper, Adam Dhimsa who pulled of two wonderful saves to deny Bobby Mitchell and Dan Rimmer.

Just before the half time whistle Jorden Kirk forced his way forward to latch on to a cross from Jack Baker to go in at half time three to the good.


The second half started with a mini Semington revival as Bobby Mitchell scored to make it 3-1 only for Rhys Talmash to score another 2 to claim another matchball as Melksham finish the month with 4 wins out of 4 Midfield duo Zac Hillier and Jorden Kirk were outstanding and Alex De Silva making his long awaited absence from injury played the whole 90 minutes.

Semington’s Scott Boyd was singled out for some praise from opposition manager Mike Rogers even though he had the unenviable job of watching the leagues top marks man Talmash. Neil Hawker was also praised for excellent game with the whistle.


Chippenham Icons FC 1-3 FC Devizes United

United Hot On The Heels Of Melksham

FC Devizes United ran out 3-1 winners against Chippenham Icons at Leafy Lane but I am sure Icons manager Steve Hunt will be thinking that their first win is just round the corner after putting in a competitive performance.

Although Ryan Nicholls notched for Icons, the final score was 3-1 to Devizes. 


Corsham Wildcats A-W FC Lacock

Lacock were awarded the win after Corsham Wildcats were unable to raise a team.


Division 1:

Only 2 fixtures took place in the Shoestring-Chargrill sponsored Chippenham & District Sunday League Division 1 . Here are the results:

Beeches FC 3-2 Sporting Box FC

Beeches Show True Grit

Beeches tapped into their reserves of grit and determination to record their first win of the season against a Sporting Box side who again find themselves on the unlucky side of a 3-2 score line.

Despite still reeling from a number of injuries it was Beeches who raced into a 2-0 halftime lead courtesy of goals from Lee Causon and the ever impressive Steve Ball.

Sporting made a game of it though in the second half and although they found the net twice through Jake Angell and Zilwwod Stead a John Williams goal proved the difference.


Royal Oak FC 5-2 Lavis FC

Solid Oak Statement!

Royal Oak made an early statement in Division 1 as they recorded a comfortable win against the pre-season favourites Lavis FC at Northbrook.

Although the first half was a tight affair with Oak taking in a slender 1-0 lead the floodgates opened somewhat in the second half with a further 6 goals for both sides.

Liam Moffat scored twice as well as singles for Josh Duckett, Cameron Lee and Jed Kirkwood for Royal Oak Jack Sterling and Francois Allen provided the responses for Lavis as Oak ran out 5-2 winners.


Sutton Benger FC 0-1 Biddestone FC

Buttons Undone By Biddestone


biddeston foot

Keenan Burnell Of Biddestone FC (Purple) Starts The Match With James Hacket & Tom Stratton Of Sutton Benger (Red)
Starting Their Pursuit

With neither side yet to record a win this season this represented a great chance for both sides to pick up their first 3 points of the season and Sutton Benger and Biddestone played out a tight affair which was won by the narrowest of margins.

Biddestone started the brighter and it seemed that slightly more aggressive approach seemed to be working wonders and they were causing all types of trouble with their height advantage.

ethan moore calne news
Ethan Moore With A Defensive Free Kick For Sutton Benger

And this would prove to be where the match was won and lost when a free kick was put into a dangerous area only for the ball to go in off the hapless Jason Cole for an own goal.

Benger just could not seem to invoke their passing game with many passes going astray but with the pace of Ethan Jones and with Tom Stratton leading the line they would have though that a passage back into the game was possible but in fairness they were only able to feed off a few half chances as the final ball left a lot to be desired.

And so the score remained 1-0 to the visitors to get their season up and running.


ethan jones calne

Ethan Jones With A Free Kick For Sutton Benger (Red)


Division 2:

Calne United 8-1 Kingfisher

United Keep Up The Winning Streak

Calne United have their 100% record in tact thanks to a fine, convincing win over Kingfisher at Goatacre Recreational Ground.

They took an early lead thanks to a goal from Adam Welch and confidence was really brewing when further goals were added by Danny Wykes and Alex Ambrus.

They went in at half time with a comfortable 4-0 lead thanks to Welch’s second of the game. The second half carried on in much the same patter with Dale Wood getting in on the act and any thoughts of another comeback for fisher were well and truly over when Welch collected the matchball.

A consolation goals was pulled back through Ed Baldwin but that was all that Fisher could muster as a second from Wykes and a final eight goal by David Williams completed the rout.


FC Box 12-0 The Pewsham FC

Box Continue Impressive Start Against Sorry Pewsham

A perfect Sunday morning for was met with some fantastic football in this fixture at Box Recreation Ground as FC Box who were heavy favourites before the ball was kicked ran out 12-0 winners against the newly renamed The Pewsham FC .

The Pewsham were always going to be a potential banana skin but Box started brightly and produced some nice passing football which paid off in the first 10 mins with a lovely goal from Jack Brain.

Box started to turn the screw and dominate the first half with Spencer Dymond-Hall concertinaing goals with Brain meaning they had a hat-trick apiece and a 6-0 score line by the half time whistle.

The Pewsham didn’t give up though and had chances of their own, notably one that James Whitehead, returning from a 3 game ban, fantastically got down to save.

The second half started very sloppy for both teams but Box finally found their rhythm again and bagged 2 more in the first 15 mins with goals from James Lye and a fantastic dribble and shot from Toby Gingell.

Despite the score line, The Pewsham still did themselves proud and never gave up, forcing Whitehead into another world class save from a free kick that he tipped onto the crossbar.

Box added another 4 goals with a brace from Andy Woods, another from James Lye and a first goal of the season from new father Callum Talmash.

Box manager Stuart Donnelly paid credit to The Pewsham, who despite the score line, played the gams in the correct spirit and were a credit to the CDSFL.

Hayden Hubbard was also singled out for praise in the middle and did everything he could to let the game flow.


Steeple Ashton 1-5 Fox & Hounds (Warminster) FC

Five Star For The Foxes

A well deserved away win for Fox & Hounds in this Division 2 clash with Steeple Ashton as they kept up pace at the top of the league.

There was one previous encounter to gauge a potential outcome and that was in a pre-season friendly where Steeple Ashton got the bragging rights in a 4-3 win.

However, it was roles reversed this time around as Fox & Hounds started the game in high tempo and it didn’t take them long to get the first chance at goal. Myles Woodward getting the Foxes off to a great start after 7 minutes knocking in a rebound after keeper Dale Raine parried a curling effort from Adam Tester into his path.

The second was from the spot, after Myles Woodward was taken out after an electric run into the box, dispatched with ease by Reece Collyer, Foxes 2-0 after 22 minutes played. The 3rd came after a nice ball over from the right channel by Myles Woodward, which found Adam Tester at the back post, who looped the header back across goal with Raine making another great save but again it was only pushed as far as an opposition player in the shape of Sean Shook who was able to keep the ball and drilled it past the keeper.

Long throws were always a problem for the Ashton and the 4th came from a Myles Woodward long throw to the front post, which was flicked on by Steve Corbin and dispatched at the back stick by a Jason Stokes header. Steeple Ashton were by no means non existent in this game and they were kept at bay with some great saves in the first half by debutant keeper Conner North.

The teams remained the same for the start of second half. Steeple Ashton looking to spark a fightback with a flurry of half chances but the Foxes back line remained strong. Changes on both flanks after 70 minutes saw Taylor Kitley come on for Myles Woodward and Josh Kent came on for ​Adam Tester. The subs then combined just a few minutes later with a great run into the box by Kitley with a simple ball inside the Steeple Ashton box which found an unmarked Kent who stroked it in
from a few yards and 5-0.

Sean Snook was replaced by Jake Owen and a small reshuffle in the middle of the park after 80 minutes. Steeple Ashton then found a consolation goal that was probably deserved 6 minutes from time through Scott Wallace however the Foxes were able to finish the game off 5-1.

Division 3:

Dyson Institute 3-5 Audley FC

Audley Given A Run For Their Money

There are signs that Dyson Institute are acclimatising to life in the in the CDSFL and they are probably wondering what might have been after recording a 5-3 loss at the hands of Audley FC .

It would not normally be considered a disappointment to fall at the hands of the pre-season favourites Audley but Institute found themselves with a 3-0 half time lead thanks to a brace from Ewan Hammond and a goal from Jamie Herbert.

But Audley clearly woke themselves in the second half and a Gareth Jones hat-trick along with goals from Tom Webb and Harry Myles completed the turnaround for Audley.


Misfits 1-7 Staverton Rangers (Sunday) FC

Staverton Return To Wining Ways

Staverton bounced back from last weeks cup disappointment with a dominant display which saw the return of their talisman Ricky Montacute against Misfits FC .

After spurning several early chances Staverton took the lead when Lee Ridout struck home from an uncleared corner.

Misfits had the chance to get back on level terms but they hit the woodwork from the penalty spot and it stayed 1-0 until the interval.

The goals came in the second half when a Lance Davis Corner found its way into the net to make it 2-0 early in the second half. Ricky Montacute then grabbed a brace showing sharp reactions for his first and a tidy strike to make it 4-0.

Misfits did pull a goal back when Scott Jones scored with a very well finished off move but Montacute completed his hat-trick when he tucked his close range strike into the far corner.

Shane Flexon then pounced on a keeper error for 6-1 before Lance Davis finished the rout with a jinxing run and smashing the ball between the keepers legs for 7-1 which maybe little harsh on their opponents as they kept going right until the very last whistle.

Spires Athletic 6-0 Warminster Athletic

Spires Pick Up First League Win

Spires Athletic picked up their first league win of the season as Warminster Athletic’s 3 match unbeaten run came to a stunning end.

Aiden Jackson scores Spires first goal with a low shot into the corner from inside the box. Spires Defender Zac Baskerville continued his spot kick form converting another for the second of the match.

Josh Bolwell who was leading the line with Aiden Jackson scored his first of 3 when he tapped in a low cross. Owen Thornton set up Bolwell’s second, a ball over the top from the Spires box resulted in Bolwell flicking it over the keeper as he rushed out making it 4-0 at halftime.

Spires started the second half with Owen Thornton bringing the ball down from 30 yards out and unleashing a monster      for 5-0.

The final piece to the puzzle was slotted in by Bolwell to complete the hat-trick, taking the ball around the Warminster keeper, Man of the Match, Kristian Green and slotting it home, the goalkeeper was no match for on form Bolwell to complete his hat trick.


Westbury Celtic 0-2 The British Lion FC

Lion Take The Spoils

British Lion took the spoils and kept their 100% record in the competition with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Wetbury Celtic .

Leigh Blanchard turned back the clock to lead the defensive line with Harry Rice in what was a pivotal partnership in this victory.

Goals from Glynn Rowles and Angus Webster claimed the win for Lion.