New Sport Lifestyle Header

By Kai Flack

The long wait is finally over, the first week of the 2021/22 season saw most of the CDSFL teams participate in the Preliminary Round of the Wiltshire FA Sunday Cup and it threw up a plethora of goals as well as a couple of shocks.

CDSFL Grass PictureBeeches FC 1 - 5 The British Lion FC


Lion Shock Last Season Cup Finalists


Arguably the biggest shock of the day occurred at The Beeches in Shaw as last season’s beaten Gooding Accounts sponsored Subsidiary Cup finalists, Beeches FC were comfortably beaten by The British Lion of Division 3.


The first half was somewhat of a tight affair and the score at the interval was 2-1 to The British Lion. Beeches goal machine Steve Ball was on target once again with Dean Tacuso and Angus Webster scoring for British Lion.

The second half turned into a little bit of a one sided affair as a Glyn Rowles brace and a goal for Liam Mortimer meant the third division side progress to the first round proper.


Old Road FC 2 - 5 FC Devizes United


United Too Much For Old Road


This match went as predicted with Devizes United running out 5-2 winners against a spirited Old Road side.


An entertaining first half saw Devizes go in with a 2-1 lead thanks to goals from Jay Walters and a long range effort from Harrison Sartin. Sam van Weenan with the reply for Old Road.


The second half saw a further five goals with a further three from Devizes though another Sartin effort from out side the box followed by goals from Jack Coward and another from Walters.


Matt Sallows scored Old Road’s second of the day.



Pack Horse FC 13 - 0 Dyson Institute FC


Pack Horse Gallop Into The Next Round


Pack Horse FC showed their ruthless side as they put league newcomers Dyson Institute to the sword in this convincing victory.


Pack Horse raced into a half time lead of 7 with no reply and by the time the full time whistle was sounded another 6 had been added for the astounding victory.


There were two hattrick heroes in Tyler Smith(4), Ollie Dean(3). Adam Shipman and Josh Madle scored 2 apiece and Ed McCormack and Josh Legg scored 1 each to round off the scoring.


Sutton Benger FC 1 - 5 Royal Oak FC


5 Star Oak End Benger’s Interest In Wiltshire Sunday Cup


The all Division 1 clash took place at Northbrook and the final result ended in a 5-1 win for Richard Tandy’s Royal Oak side against Sutton Benger .


It was predicted that this would be a tight affair and despite what the score line would suggest, this would be the case for the majority of the match and both sides showed promise in a close first half, without creating any clear cut opportunities and most of the early pressure was soaked up by a strong defensive performance by the Royal Oak backline.
The closest either side came to a goal was when Josh Duckett struck the angle from a free kick from what looked like a harsh handball call by Joe Merriman. Kai Flack’s side then suffered a huge blow when Merriman was forced of with a hamstring injury shortly after.
It was another set piece that did finally break the deadlock before the interval, Matt Russell flew in at the near post to open the scoring with a diving header from a Jed Kirkwood corner for a 1-0 half time lead.
Sutton Benger were back in the game instantly from the second half kick off as Matt Bartlett to advantage of some indecision in the Oak backline and slotted home in the empty net from just outside the box.
Richard Tandy made some changes including bringing himself on and it was Tandy himself who pounced on a mishit clearance to give his Oak side the lead once again.
It remained a close contest for much of the second half until a contentious penalty decision put the game to bed for Oak. Tandy was again involved and went down and a light-hearted appeal from one or two of his teammates was enough for the referee to point to the spot.
Jake Duckett did the honours of putting the oak 3-1 ahead in what would ultimately be the killer blow in the tie for Benger.
Tricky play from Cameron Lee ended with a smart left footed effort that put the Oak 3 to the good and debutant Tom North sealed the victory after good play from Tandy and Lee, Tandy crossed the ball in for North to get his name on the scoresheet for the fifth and final goal.
Spires Athletic FC 3 - 2 Biddestone FC
Spires Aspire To Beat Team Higher
An exciting match took place at Beversbrook and it was Division 3 side Spires Athletic who caused another shock in the Wiltshire Sunday cup winning a thriller against first division Biddestone 3-2.
Spires opened the scoring when Daniel Leany took aim from 25 yards out and despite the goalkeeper getting his foot to it, the ball hit the bottom right hand corner. Biddestone equalised shortly after when they handed a penalty much to the disappointment of the Spires players. Joe Filby stepped up to tuck the spot kick away and that was how it stayed until the
end of the half.
Robert Sandiford tapped in a left hand cross to re-establish Spires’ lead in the second half only to be pegged back once more when X’s cross come shot deceived everyone to end up in the back of the net for 2-2.
The fifth and final goal came when Dylan Hatt, who made everything tick for Spires throughout the match, managed to get himself between 2 defenders and slotted home what turned out to be the winning goal.
Staverton Rangers (Sunday) FC 3 - 1 Kingfisher FC
Bare Staverton Inspired To Victory
Staverton Rangers (Sunday) FC took on Kingfisher at the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Field and it was third division Staverton who progress to the next round thanks to a 3-1 victory.
What looked like quite the task to begin with was made worse when both of Staverton’s available substitutes pulled up in the warm up meaning only Lance Davis was left with the bare 11 to work with and hoping on no further injuries.
As is often the case though this seemed to inspire his side and the hosts took the game to Kingfisher who struggled to deal with Staverton’s hard working midfield, in particular Ricky Montacute and it was his drifted cross which was headed home by arguably the smallest man on the pitch, Jesse Wyness with 25 minutes on the clock.
Lance Davis then himself had a goal chalked off for offside 5 minutes later but it was his run and cross that found Jesse Wyness to cooley slot home his second. Kingfisher came back into it in the 75m after a mistake at the back aloud them through.
But whilst pushing for an equaliser Ricky Montacutes mazy run and cross found Kieran Morris who had the goal
at his mercy to finish the tie off at 3-1 with the last kick of the game.
Despite going in at halftime 2-0 down, Kingfisher played their way back into the game and Ed Baldwin scored after 75  minutes following a mistake at the back but the impressive Montacute went on a mazy run and found Kiran Morris with a cross who finished with the goal at his peril to put the game back beyond doubt for Staverton and ensure progression into the next round.
Premier Division:
Chippenham Icons FC 2 - 5 FC Lacock
Future Looks Bright For Lacock
A classic fixture took place at Leafy Lane where where newly promoted dark horses,Chippenham Icons
hosted the hugely fancied FC Lacock outfit and it was the visitors who got their campaign under way with what in the end appeared to be a convincing 5-2 success.
Lacock took an early lead through a Josh Bright effort, however they found themselves 2-1 down as goals from Dan Fowler and Matt Harvey turned the game in favour of Steve Hunt’s team.
A second from Josh Bright saw parity restored for Lacock, however they were indebted to keeper Harry Pickering who did really well to deny Rich Hudson from the penalty spot. Hudson’s penalty miss was to prove costly as Lacock regained the lead prior to half time when Josh Bright tapped home to complete his hat trick and end a turbulent first half.
In what was an entertaining contest Lacock finally put the game to bed when Rory Davis made it 4-2 and the points were secured when Kieron Gleed opened his account for the villagers who are certain to be battling for silverware come next April.
Semington FC 1 - 5 AFC Melkshamsemingtonfc calne news
Talmash Puts Semington To The Sword 
AFC Melksham were looking to get off to the best start this season with new signings Jack Baker and Martin Johnson adding more quality to a very good AFC side and young Ollie Clark was also making his league debut for a Melksham side that were largely dominant in the first 45 minutes against Semington FC.
Rhys Talmash tormented the Semington defence throughout and although he scored after 5 minutes, he had to wait until near the end of the half for his second thanks to ex AFC skipper Chris Dore blocking shot after shot and having to play at the top of his game to keep Melksham out.
2-0 was how the score would remain until the break with both teams knowing the heat would continue for the duration of the match.
It was Semington who got themselves back into he game when Ant Lamb reduced the arrears and they would have definitely felt like it was game on.
However, AFC Melksham and Talmash in particular had other ideas as he went straight down the other end and hit a belter that bounced of the cross bar and fell to Mark Johnson who scored on the rebound.
The slick passing from AFC made the home side defend in depth which meant that Gareth Evans in the away goal was rarely troubled but this was largely due to captain Jordan Kirk having moved to centre back who was on hand to snuff out Ollie Gee’s bursting runs through the middle to try to set up a fight back for Semington.
Olie Clark can be proud of his league debut but he like many of his other teammates enjoyed the performance of goal machine Talmash who scored a further 3 goals to take the proverbial match ball home and won the MOTM with a high octane performance.
Division 2:
Fox & Hounds (Warminster) FC 9 - 1 Calne Athletic FC
Big Win For Fox & Hounds In Season Opener
It was mentioned before a ball was kicked that if the squad depth afforded to Fox & Hounds (Warminster) could be utilised properly then it could be a good season in the offing for them and they got their selection spot on as they opened with a resounding 8-1 win against Calne Athletic at Land Warfare Centre.
Jayson Stokes bagged himself the match ball and Reece Collyer scored from the spot as well as adding another to his tally. Myles Woodward also hit a brace as well as a goal apiece from George Ingram and Kurt Dawson completing the scoring for Fox & Hounds.
Rhys Edwards slotted home Calne’s consolation.
The Castle FC 3 - 4 FC Box
FC Box Edge Seven Goal Thriller
The scene was set for what could of been a cracker of a game. The Castle FC the pre-season favourites for this division coupled with FC Box skippered by Spencer Hall, the youngest player on the pitch as well as bringing back a handful of old Corsham centre players to add a bit of nostalgia to the game.
It did not disappoint, Box maybe just edged the first 15 mins, in a very close game. The Castle giving as good as they got and looking very dangerous on the break.
The deadlock was broken by FC Box after some good work down the right side, involving some great link up play between Jack Brain, Mitchell May and the extremely impressive Tom Tanner and this ended with a snap shot from the evergreen Simon Gray, returning from a couple of years away from the game and finding the back of the net at the first opportunity.
That seemed to shift The Castle up a gear and they started to dominate possession for a short period and it paid off with a lovely individual goal from Robbie Whyte for the equaliser and 1-1 at the break. 
Castle came out fighting in the second half and soon took the lead through a smart finish from Chris Allen but instead of folding, FC Box, dug deep and kept pushing and were rewarded with a moment of individual brilliance by their captain fantastic, Spencer Hall, who dribbled round about 4 players and finished in the far corner from outside the box.
Back on level terms and with chances at both end kept coming with regularity, FC Box were only stopped from taking the lead by a very much in form James Baggot in The Castle goal, one particular save when Gray was through one on one. This was then followed up an few minutes later with what can only be described as a world class save from a corner.
Box kept up the pressure and some lovely build up play sent Grey free down the right, and he finished firmly across the keeper into the far corner to give Box a deserved lead.
This topsy turvey encounter then swayed back the other way as The Castle refused to concede the game was over and despite the heat draining the energy, the equaliser came from a set piece played into the box and finished by Castle’s top goal scorer from last season Matt Tilley despite the calls from FC Box players that he was in an offside position.
Box tapped into their reserves and upped their game once more and pushed for a winner which came with a carbon copy of the third goal from Grey, who completed a his hattrick, with a firm drive across the keeper.
Box parked the bus in the last minutes to stop The Castle getting level, the back four lead by Toby Gingell, who was solid through the whole game, stopped everything that came at them aided by Liam Harris in the Box goal.
The match official was praised for his handling of the match.
Division 3:
Audley FC 10 - 1 Misfits FC
Audley Bring The Fire In Division 3 Clash
Although they had never met in the league previously the fixture between Division Three newcomers Audley FC and
Misfits FC had generated a lot of interest ahead of the Shoestrings-Chargrill sponsored Chippenham Sunday League
opening day showdown at Leafy Lane.
With a number of Audley players lining up against their former teammates, temperatures ahead on the game had reached boiling point, but once kick-off time arrived, both clubs were on their best behaviour and the contest went off without any incidents, Audley eventually finding their scoring boots in the second period to run out 10-1 victors.
Audley were on the front foot from the very first minute and despite dominating play, a combination of missed chances and excellent goalkeeping from Graham Applegate kept the score goalless for the opening 23 minutes.
The Audley pressure final paid off on 24 minutes when Jordan Murphy drove home a brilliant opener for Jordan Tarrant’s side.
There joy was short live as two minutes later Audley keeper Josh Beard failed to deal with a Nathan Thomas free kick and the score was level again.
Sam Myles regained the lead for Audley on 37 minutes and just as the first half was drawing to a close, Gareth Jones was on hand to make it 3-1 and give the hosts an interval advantage their dominance deserved.
The second period was just 7 minutes old when Audley stretched their lead even further as Harry Myles made it 4-1.
Quick-fire goals in the space of a couple of minutes, a second from Jones and a 30 yard screamer into the top corner from Charlie Austin took the score to 6-1.
With 30 minutes remaining and as Misfits were running on empty it seemed it would be a case of how many more Audley would score, chances came and went before Jones fired home his third of the morning on 68 minutes and, 3 more goals in the final 10 minutes sealed an opening day victory for home team, Jones took his personal tally for the game to five with a couple more and at the second time of asking Connor Laidlaw finally found the net to make up the double figures.
Warminster Athletic 5 - 5 Westbury Celtic
Spoils Shared In The Match Of The Day At St. Georges
The game of the day took place at St. Georges playing field as Warminster Athletic took on Westbury Celtic which ended in a 5-5 draw.
Stuart Green will be thinking that is t should have been so much more as they raced into 4-1 lead by the time the half time whistle had sounded.
Westbury Celtic produced one of the biggest of comebacks in recent times as they mirrored their opponents in the second half with a 4-1 mini victory of their own as the tie ended 5-5.
Ben Bullis took the match ball home for Warminster as well as a brace scored by Taylor Cuff whilst in return for Westbury another match ball was claimed by Chris Steel with Jake Kingston and Harrison Trevor completing the second half comeback.
Results For Sunday 5th September 2021
Shoestrings-Chargrill Chippenham Sunday League: Premier Division: FC Lacock 5, Chippenham Icons 2; 
Semington 1,AFC Melksham 5; Division Two: Fox & Hounds 9,Calne Athletic1; The Castle 3, FC Box 4; Division Three: Audley 10, Misfits1; Warminster Athletic 5, Westbury Celtic 5; Wiltshire Sunday Cup: Beeches 1, The British Lion 5; 
Old Road 2, FC Devizes Utd 5; Pack Horse 13, Dyson Institute 0; Spires Athletic 3, Biddestone 2;
Staverton Rangers FC 3, Kingfisher 1; Sutton Benger 1, Royal Oak 5.
Fixtures For Sunday 12th September 2021
Shoestrings-Chargrill Chippenham Sunday League: Premier Division: AFC Melksham vs Chippenham Icons,
Corsham Wildcats vs FC Devizes United, FC Lacock vs Semington; Division One: Lavis vs Sporting Box, Pack Horse
vs Sutton Benger, Royal Oak vs Biddestone; Division Two: Calne Athletic vs The Castle, FC Box vs Steeple Ashton,
Kingfisher vs Fox & Hounds (Warminster), Old Road vs Calne United; Division 3: Audley vs Westbury Celtic, Dyson
Institute vs Staverton Rangers (Sunday), The British Lion vs Spires Athletic, Warminster Athletic vs Misfits