New Lifestyle Header


Wiltshire Trading Standards have issued an urgent product recall on LED balloons which have been seen for sale across Wiltshire at outdoor events.

FBC7B4ED 7392 4A12 A632 97D9EEAD8EACThe balloons in question are clear, inflated and fixed to a plastic rigid handle. The handle contains an AAA battery, which operates the LED string that is wrapped around the exterior.

The balloons pose a risk of strangulation, choking and chemical exposure.

 

Wiltshire Trading Standards say: ‘We are aware LED balloons have been popular at recent carnivals and outdoor events.

We have recently seized a batch at a local event which were non-compliant for reasons similar to those below. If you have an LED balloon which appears to have any of these features we would advise not to give it to children.

The LED string is too long and can detach. If it wraps around a child's neck, it could lead to strangulation. The solder on the LED string contains an excessive amount of lead (measured value: 9.33 % by weight).

Lead poses a risk to the environment.

Moreover, the battery compartment can easily be opened or breaks when the toy is dropped, giving access to the batteries. A child may put the batteries in the mouth, which could cause damage to the child’s gastrointestinal tract or choking.

The product does not comply with the requirements of the Toy Safety Directive and the Commission Directive on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment (RoHS 2 Directive) and the relevant European standard EN 71-1 and EN 62115.’